Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rothko......I don't think so...

So, I was in London last week and stopped off at the Tate Modern to check out the Rothko exhibit. And yes, I realize this isn't foreign policy, but it's in London. And it's my blog.

So...the Rothko exhibit.

I don't get it. The canvas is black. OK....some of them are red.

Kierkegaard and Sartre get mentioned in the notes. It's very fancy. Lot of young couples staring at the large canvases and whispering. The women whisper, the men nod, clueless as usual.

But at the end of the day, the canvas is still black.

There is a lot of hubris and spin involved.

But the canvas is still black.

"Oh no. There are shades of black. And they have a lot of meaning."

Maybe to you, but to me they are black.

But my hat is off to Rothko. He pulled it off.

No comments: