Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Morning nuggets...

While looking for something to write about today....I found these two items. The first is one of those uh oh moments. The other reminds me that this is truly a wide and diverse world and that I will never see it all.

First your uh oh moment.

The BBC had this headline today: Nepali Police 'Torture Children.' How'd you like to be the prime minister's press secretary. "Uh....sir....I don't think you're going to like this." Indeed, how DO you spin torturing of children.

The next item is from Germany's Der Spiegel Online. I don't work blue, but .....well...this was delivered on a platter.

In the southern Balkans, a small Muslim ethnic group maintains its collective identity by means of mass circumcision. Once every five years, villagers gather to ordain their boys. And to party for four straight days.

It's all part of something called Sunet a tradition there for several centuries. And here's the kicker.....

At last year's Sunet, 130 boys from 10 months to five years -- some brought from abroad -- were circumcised by 70 year old Zylfikar Shishko, a barber from the nearby town of Prizren who has been performing the role for the last 45 years.

Yes indeed, when I'm thinking of skilled medical talent, I immediately think Floyd the barber. Enjoy your breakfast.

No comments: