Friday, November 21, 2008

45 YEARS???!!!???!?!

So the authorities in Myanmar sentenced a comedian...A COMEDIAN...to 45 years for trying to deliver aid to cyclone victims. Well sure, he had it coming. Who was he to make the military look bad? Forget the rallying in the streets and rioting, nothing scares a junta like a comic with a sharp tongue.

I am reminded of Pastor Martin Niemoller's poem about Germany's intellectuals, and I made a few changes....

They first came for the mimes, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a mime.
Then they came for the ventriloquists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a vent.
Then they came for the guitar acts, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a guitar act.
Then they came for the political comics, and there was no one left to speak up.
45 years indeed.

No comments: