Monday, December 01, 2008

Monday....monday.....

As I disengage from our annual national tryptophan induced coma, I'm thinking the sub-continent could use to eat a little more turkey.

Terrible stuff in Mumbai, theories abound and everyone has an opinion, but if you drill down, it ultimately comes down to economics with a side order of tribalism or religion. One element has primacy, and all that are associated with it get to benefit. Belong to the minority and you're a second class citizen. The answer is to give everyone a shot at the pie equally. When people are fat and happy and worried about soccer games and school grades you have progress.

Speaking of progress....

I flew into Iran a number of years ago and I remember that the Purser on the flight said something to the effect of, "Welcome to Tehran, the local time is 1:15 PM in the year 1365." Sure...a cheap shot. But reading the BBC website last week I came across this piece which reminds me that they have a ways to go:

A court in Iran has ruled that a man who blinded a woman with acid after she spurned his marriage proposals will also be blinded with acid.

Ah...equality. You don't think so? Who's to say that a few years ago she wouldn't have been stoned to death for the same "offense" ? I mean spurning a MAN's advances?? That just doesn't cut it. So as far as I'm concerned, this is visible progress.

Truth be told, most Iranians are probably embarrassed by this. I know I would be.

No comments: