Monday, February 06, 2006

eMission Statement?

As I embark this on this blog journey I find myself thinking: "Yeah, right. Just what the world needs, another blog."

And it hasn't escaped me, that only one letter separates blog and clog.

However, in searching the general blogosphere, I haven't found a single strictly foreign policy humor blog. Admittedly, it's a tough subject to lampoon. And here I speak from experience.

Back in the day when I was doing stand-up, at the IMPROV and Catch A Rising Star in New York and other comedy clubs around the country, being a political comic was tough. Being an international political comic was suicide. Which will explain why you never heard of me. Well, that, and the fact that I wasn't a particularly funny stand-up. Although in my defense, a survey published by National Geographic magazine back in 2002 revealed that 29 percent of young Americans couldn't find the Pacific Ocean on a map.

Anyway, surveying the blogosphere I really get tired of, among other things, the harshness of the rhetoric, the ignorance, the xenophobia, the jingoism and the partisanship that runs through it all.

I think that now, more than ever, we need a sense of humor when engaging each other and the world.

So, this is going to be my daily attempt to write a little something amusing about this tiny little ball of mud we all have to live on. This is for all you analysts, spooks, NGO' ers, journos, IR students and diplomats. And anyone else who opens a newspaper and thinks to themselves……"What the heck were they thinking?"

No comments: